Friday, October 26, 2012

Fun Halloween Reads

Realizing that it was the weekend prior to Halloween, I thought it would be fun to suggest a list of books to put you in that Halloween mood. And while I acknowledge most would rather be out partying as opposed reading, I thought the idea was still fun for those like me who like to curl up in bed with a good book on a cold Autumn night. However, with that said, I wish I had put more thought into this idea ahead of time. My list is rather short (partially because I'm not particularly drawn to books that will scare me), so feel free to add any theme-appropriate books you have!

(pumpkin carved by yours truly)

The first book I have for you is a book I actually already did a book review about a month ago, Neil Gaiman's Coraline. This book really did give me the creeps, but was fun at the same time. If you want to read my spoiler-free review, you can find it here.

(photographed: Neil Gaiman's Coraline)

Next is a book I actually read last year, long before I started this blog (though I did mention in my very first blog post) so I don't have a complete review up for it. It's Pride & Prejudice & Zombies! This book is very entertaining, but potentially only if you've read Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. Having the Bennet sisters as Zombie-crushing quintet is amusing, but puts you in that Halloween mood as well.

(photographed: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on my Kindle)

Lastly, I have what I am currently reading for Halloween, Bram Stoker's Dracula. I have been meaning to read this book for quite some time and realized that the timing was rather appropriate. Unfortunately, I have only just started the book so I can't say how I feel about it overall, but it has been fairly engaging in the first 50 pages that I have read!

(photographed: Bram Stoker's Dracula)

Though I don't normally read books according to any sort of theme in my life, it can be fun to do so for big holidays, especially if you have a hard time getting into the holiday spirit.

I hope you enjoyed this, and I welcome any suggestions to write down for next year (Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is currently on this list)!

2 comments:

  1. Your pumpkin is so adorable! I'm curious---What happens to pumpkins after Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! (:
      That one was actually from last year. And after a few days they get all brown and sad to look at so you just toss them.

      Delete