Monday, July 2, 2012

Battle of the Yellow Polishes [Part 1]

Today's nail post will be a Battle of the Yellow Polishes. I wanted to start off by saying that I thoroughly enjoy yellow nails as well as the color yellow in general. I believe yellow is just one of the few colors that you can pick without standing out as obnoxious or childish, as blues and greens can sometimes be, but at the same time is not at all safe and boring like nudes and pinks can be. Yellow is just a happy color. (:

This particular post will be a compare/contrast post on two wearable yellows for the spring/summer, Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure "Yellow Kitty" and Revlon Colorstay "Buttercup."

 (photographed [left to right]: Sally Hansen "Yellow Kitty," Revlon "Buttercup")

We'll begin with Revlon Colorstay "Buttercup." I have never been a big fan of the formula of the original Revlon Nail Polish line. So when I heard that Revlon was coming out with a Colorstay line with a different formula, I was ecstatic.

"Buttercup," is a pastel yellow that has much more white to it than something like China Glaze's "Lemon Fizz."

(photographed: Revlon Colorstay "Buttercup," 2 coats, outdoors)

Pros
  • Beautiful color for spring and summer.
  • Not too obnoxious of a color if you want to wear more color for spring and summer but neon isn't your thing. 
  • The white tint makes it an easy color to match with any skin tone.
Cons
  • Though this polish is nearly opaque in one coat (a second was needed for most nails to get complete coverage) it is very thick and has the tendency to bubble.


Next, we have Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure polish in "Yellow Kitty." "Yellow Kitty" is a sunshine yellow that is neither pastel, like "Buttercup," nor neon. It reminds me of the color of peeps, the marshmallow treats shaped like chicks.

However, with Sally Hansen, unless I am really drawn to a color, I tend to steer clear of this particular Complete Salon Manicure line. I find the brush frustrating to work with.

(photographed: Sally Hansen Salon Manicure "Yellow Kitty," 4 coats, outdoors)

The photo above demonstrates how bright this yellow can be, whereas the photo below demonstrates how soft if can be as well.

(photographed: Sally Hansen Salon Manicure "Yellow Kitty," 4 coats, shade)

Pros
  • Cute color. Has more yellow to it than Revlon "Buttercup" that has a strong white tint.
  • Eye-catching without being obnoxious like neon can be.
Cons
  • Even after four coats select fingers still had balding issues.
  • Brush tends to hold a lot of polish that likes to drip down the stick, making application frustraing.

Final Verdict: The two main factors that go into determining which color I prefer are application issues and color in general. As far as application goes, both are difficult to work with. However, I find Revlon's bubbling issues slightly easier to work with once you get used to it. Sally Hansen, on the other hand, continues to be streaky no matter how I try to work with it. In addition to this, I slightly prefer Revlon's pastel yellow color over the Sally Hansen one. Therefore, the winner for me is Revlon's "Buttercup."

Which do you prefer?

3 comments:

  1. I'm really tempted to go try "buttercup" but that would leave my Revlon polish collection at an uneven number...I'm surprised you didn't like the SHM brush --I thin it's the easiest to work with out of all the lines, then again I do tend to have longer nails...eagerly awaiting part two :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the flat OPI brush. So I think it has to do with the actual stick part that the brush is attached to. It gathers polish when you pull it out of the bottle and drips a lot. Even when I try to wipe the brush completely clean, polish slides down the stick and I get a finger-full of polish. It's strange. I suppose it's not too big of a problem, but worth mentioning. I'm glad it works for you!

      Delete
    2. It's like the Julep brush for me--that stick part of it holds SO much polish.

      Delete